Saturday, November 1, 2008

Disconnect

An interesting thing that people in some parts of the world every day are fighting and dying. People are dying of sickness, violence, starvation, and so much more. 

Yet I'm sitting here writing in a heated apartment fully furnished and insured to protect my valuables against the small chance that something bad could happen to them.
You're sitting and reading this from somewhere probably equally as nice, as well as safe. 

The biggest worries are whether my projects for this coming week will be done on time, how my test went, whether I will have the cash to pay bills, whether the stock market will come back, and how I will find time to wash my clothes.

Seems so trivial when you think that right at this second there are probably several people being burned to death, several others being shot, and thousands more living in fear that today will be there last.  

These things are happening, maybe in Iraq or maybe elsewhere (several countries are wartorn as this is written, within years this will change and many of those countries may still be at war and many others will go to war or come to peace as well), yet we don't even think about it.

The disconnect occurs somehow that these things never even seem to phase us. When I was in Iraq, it was like the war was the biggest event in the world. Yet when I talked to people from home via letters, email, or other, they seemed like they had no clue what was going on in the war.

When I came home, I became one of those people. Waking up everyday to fight the little battles that we do, not caring at all or realizing the extent to the atrocities happening across the world. 

This disconnect is some form of human failure, maybe as a coping mechanism. We as a people need to change this and find more ways to help those in need. Not just with money, bullets, or time; but with ideas, efforts, and ideologies that have the power to raise a people up and help them to stand on their own.

I don't know what the next steps are for these people, and I am not sure what the best ways to help them would be. I do know that the first step for us to is to realize that there is a problem.